Daintree Ecolodge are continuously expanding their efforts to tackle sustainability issues by focusing on the goals where the most impact can be achieved.
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Daintree Ecolodge is partially powered by solar panels. It is a carbon neutral property with Greenfleet offsetting, meaning all carbon emissions are compensated for by funding native reforestation projects
- Recycling all materials where possible and constantly exploring ways to improve on this
- Daintree Ecolodge donates $50 per guest stay to the Morris Family Foundation Reef Keepers Fund, supporting projects that protect and preserve the Great Barrier Reef. The Reef Keepers Fund has funded research and protection initiatives run by organisations such as James Cook University, World Wildlife Fund and the Australian Marine Conservation Society
Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Toxic free cleaning – we use eWater as a cleaning product instead of harsh cleaning chemicals
- We plant trees – our partnership with Rainforest Rescue allows us to assist in the reforestation of areas of the Daintree Rainforest that have been impacted by human development
- A biocycle waste water treatment plant that allows 100% of the water to be recycled and used for irrigation and watering
- An on-site herb and veggie patch which provides our chefs with a constant supply of fresh produce for guest meals
- All organic waste from the kitchen is composted or fed to local livestock
- We minimise the use of single-use plastics and packaging throughout the property, kitchen, restaurant and rooms
Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- The removal of single use in-room personal products to reduce excess plastic waste. We are constantly on the lookout to reduce this further. One way we have recently put this into action is through the introduction of washable slippers, made from 100% recyclable materials
- We provide stainless steel water bottles and ceramic keep cups as an environmentally friendly alternative for plastic water bottles and takeaway cups
- Daintree Ecolodge supports the anti-straw movement to help clean up our oceans. Paper straws are available upon request
- Supporting the Australian Marine Conservation Society in their ‘Good Fish Project’, that promotes sustainable consumption of Australian seafood
Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Our minibars are made-to-order, using products that are prepared in house or locally sourced. This aims to minimise food waste and single use packaging whilst simultaneously providing a healthy option for our guests and supporting local businesses
- We commissioned custom made bags from social enterprise ‘Bibi and Me’ made by vulnerable single mother’s in Nakuru Kenya as a beach basket for guests, with option to purchase
- We are a supporter of the local economy, working with local suppliers for everything, from food and beverage to art and activities offered to our guests
- Our partnership with Thrive Refugee Enterprise allows us to help refugees in finding decent employment when arriving in Australia, to assist them in achieving long-term financial security
End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- A commitment to sourcing local, organic, free range, fair trade, biodynamic and sustainably farmed produce and products
- We adopt a nose-to-tail philosophy in our kitchen. This involves buying whole animals, practicing butchery in-house and using all off-cuts to minimise food waste
- Our support of ‘Farmers For Climate Action’ reduces communication barriers between farmers, political parties and the media that assists farmers in voicing their climate change concerns.
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- We support the local school with a donation to help the kids build their kitchen gardens and run cooking classes to promote healthy eating from a young age
- We support Gambina’s ‘Journey 2 Jobs’ program, that assists Indigenous Australians in obtaining an education and finding stable careers
- We believe in equitable education across the globe and are a strong supporter of One Girl, a charity with the goal of educating one million girls across Africa to assist in their personal development and the sustainable development of the community at large
Daintree Ecolodge is proud to be an Eco Certified Advanced Ecotourism Property and Climate Action Business. We encourage responsible travel to natural areas that conserve the environment, sustain the well being of the local people, and involve continued interpretation and education of both our guests and team.
Our focus on Ecotourism benefits our business, our team, our local community and most importantly the precious environment in which we operate so it is here for generations to come.